Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Perfect Day

Days like yesterday don't come around very often. Everything just seemed to come together. Eric and I drove down to Lake Brownwood to meet up with Ben and Mary to pull on some good ol' sharp, rough stone. The weather was absolutely gorgeous with blue skies, no wind, cooler temperatures. Everyone there also seemed to be having an "on" day as well: new climbs were scoped, progress was made on projects, and several new climbs were unlocked for first ascents (FAs). To top it all off, I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to spend the day with. Eric, Ben, and Mary have been such inspirational mentors to me with their openness, love for people, and excitement about climbing. Jarrod and John are some cool cats to hang with and it's cool to see the next generation of ACU climbers catch the fire and really attack some projects.

Personally and introspectively, I feel as though yesterday was a good test of my maturity with regards to climbing. I've had difficulty in the past of casting off on my own and trying new routes that weren't previously established. With Eric and Ben as my examples, I established an unclimbed project and finished the difficult FA (now named All Knuckles and Elbows) after being denied many times over the course of the morning. Then while working on the FA of Smooth Sailing Eric, Jarrod, and I tried the route in turn and each pushed the limit of the previous climber. I felt extremely fluid on the lower section and confident for the send but I fell multiple times on the final move. Eric finally gained the FA and instead of feeling angry and jealous, like I have in the past, I felt as much a part of the ascent as my friend. The puzzle we were working on together was figured out and we were both pumped up.

My feet above the newly established All Knuckles and Elbows.

I realize that I will never be a Chris Sharma, a Sonnie Trotter, or a Conrad Anker. Pushing my limits will not push the limits of the climbing world. Yet, I look forward to continuing that journey toward my ultimate climbing potential and having the opportunity to pass on the excitement to others. "Perfect days" like this do a really good job of reinforcing that.

For a more detailed account of the day and all the climbing action, see Eric's entry at Abilene Climbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment