Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Back in Montana!

Well, I have officially been back in the States for a week and am finally getting back on my feet. Since I've been home, my time has been filling with dealing with jet-lag, fighting a foreign bug in my system, entertaining parents on a visit, and spending time with my family (don't forget we are a family of 3 here in the Bozeman-Lane house...). This on top up trying to sort out how God shaped my life through the trip to Nepal. It's been a blur.

 I figured I would post a first blog about Memorial day weekend while it was still fresh in my head and to make myself share the day-to-day things this summer in addition to the big trips like Nepal. Mom and Dad came down on Saturday and rolled into town around 4:30 after spending lunchtime with Larkin in Missoula. Alli and I had just finished up a Car Detailing fundraiser to help kids raise money for Young Life camp. Perfect timing. That evening we ate stacked enchiladas and walking to get frozen yogurt up the street together.

On Sunday we went to church for a Nepal celebration service where some of us were able to share stories of the trip. After lunch the five of us (Kyler included) went up to Bridger Bowl ski area to try and find some snow to ski. Mom hiked halfway up with us finding wildflowers. We even saw a cow moose with a new born calf, likely not even 3 days old wobbling around on its little legs! By the time we got to the top of the old Alpine chair lift, it was threatening a severe rain complete with thunder and lightning. We found shelter and waited out the rain before continuing up the Apron and bootpacked up Hidden Gully, gaining the Ridge in the process. It was great to be there with my Dad! I don't think that he has been on top of the Ridge since they lived in Bozeman, 25 years ago. Wait, that's how old I am...

Taking a little nap on a sit pad out of the rain.
We've gained the ridge! Dad with the Bangtails and Crazies in the background.
Steep and narrow: just the way we ski mountaineers like it.
The last of the snow. All the way down at the top of Bobcat run. 
The ski down was amazing! Maybe one of the best runs down Hidden of the whole season. Snow was good, albeit rocky. We changed back into our shoes and tromped down to the car where Mom was waiting patiently. The rest of the evening was enjoyed with an antelope roast and trip pictures.

Memorial Day was another relaxing day. We took Mom and Dad to REI for the last day of the Sale and then out to lunch. Then it was hugs and goodbyes and they hit the road to get back home sooner than later. The rest of the afternoon for us meant yard work after the sun came out for the first time in several days. What a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment