Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Skiing

Last Saturday was some of the best skiing I've had in a long time. Dad and I got up to the mountain early, rode the chair up, and headed off out of bounds for some "slackcountry." We skinned up above the fog and the clouds and enjoyed beautiful blue skies, warm sunshine, and heavenly views. The cherry on the cake was skiing fresh, sun-softened powder snow. Then it was back home for family, food, and gifts. My sister was able to come up and spend the afternoon and evening with us for Christmas and we had some much needed family time with all four of us. It's amazing how often I am reminded that no matter how much fun it is to climb or ski in the mountains, life is always made richer with other people, particularly family.








View from the top of Skookaleel Ridge.







Slab fractures in snowpack analysis tests. We still felt comfortable skiing the lower-angle terrain below us. I have to admit it's fun geeking out about snow and avalanche potential. I plan on becoming very proficient and knowledgeable in avalanche terrain this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment