Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cheese and Apple Pie

We had left-over apple pie after Thanksgiving dinner this year (which never lasts very long around here) and I was struck by the memory of a savory slice of pie that I had in Abilene several weeks prior with my church family at Minter Lane. My good friend Anna Jane, who lived with her husband for several years in England, baked a pie that had cheese in the crust and said it was a British tradition to have cheese and apple pie. I figured it made perfect sense to me since many people enjoy fresh fruit and cheese. She also mentioned that apple pie with a melted slice of cheese on it would be a good breakfast and we laughed trying to figure out how many of the necessary food groups it would satisfy. I did some brief research and it seems like it's a traditional way to serve pie in Yorkshire with cheese. And someone claimed that years ago it was against the law to serve pie in Wisconsin without a slice of cheese on it.

My friends will telly you that I like to experiment with food combinations so naturally I had to try it. It's probably not the best thing for you, but with a hot cup of coffee, it would be tough to beat a slice of warm apple pie with melted cheese. Thanks Anna Jane!

The pie pictured is a slice of store bought apple pie with smoked gouda on top.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, You are welcome! Glad I inspired you Colter. It was great seeing you a few months ago. Happy New Year!

    mmmm, now I want some apple pie...

    Love from Me, Chris, and Charlie!

    ReplyDelete