Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dabbling in Poetry

I've written a couple of poems recently, one from a prompt and one for a friendly contest (one that I didn't win, mind you). My skills as a poet need improvement, but I'll publish them below for your amusement.

Patterns
I lose myself in patterns.
The shrillness of my alarm
   wakens me to a world of light.
A desire for food moves me to
   break my night long fast.
Off to work in attempts to
   produce for my boss.
Home means dinner, relaxation,
   some time alone.
My pillow brings me dreams of
   someday breaking free from repetition.
Yet I lose myself in the patterns which
   tie me to a comfortable life.

(untitled)
Very often I find myself
   Poised at the edge of a cliff.
The desire to fly, falling through
   Nothing, feeling the wind in my face is overpowering.
Why do I long to castoff from the
   Rock that supports my feet?
I seek things that i do not understand,
   Enjoyments and pleasures that do me harm.
It hurts others when I jump from the
   Cliff over and over again.
I can see the pain in his eyes now.
All too often I find myself
   Creeping to the edge of a cliff
   Holding a parachute filled with holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment