Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gear Tip: Trekking Pole Baskets

I use my Blackdiamond ski poles for backcountry skiing in the winter and later for off-trail trekking in the summer. The past couple of years I've gotten into a routine of switching my baskets every year, since they get pretty beat up. For skiing, I like the "half basket": similar to a powder basket 3/4 of the way around and a thicker shorter plastic on the other side. But in the summer, that big surface area that's so nice when putting in a skin track in the winter get snagged on brush like crazy in the summer. So I decide to cut them off, leaving a nice trekking-style circle that's much easier to manage in the shrubbery.


Replacement trekking baskets are pretty cheap, around $5, but this is a habit that I've gotten into to have shiny, new-looking, grippy baskets every ski season. However, it's become more of a "changing of the seasons" ritual that gets me psyched about every 6 months than something to do out of necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment