Friday, October 8, 2010

Hunting Update

Three grouse with a bow. Not out of the air, mind you, but I'm still pretty proud.

Archery season is winding down up here in the mountains of Montana. The weather is feeling more and more like Fall, minus a week or two of Indian Summer. The foliage is changing colors and after watching a ski flick last night (PowderWhore Production Tele-vision) it's tough not to think about snow coming soon. I haven't been able to track down the elusive elk that haunts my dreams yet, but Dad and I have been very successful shooting grouse: I even got my limit of three with my bow while out a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine, Brandon, and I are heading out for one last big push this weekend to try and get a shot at a bull a few hours south of the Flathead Valley.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Car Camping Tip #1:
For your reading pleasure, I thought I would also include a tip Dad and I discovered two weeks ago. We were planning on camping out of the back of my dad's truck on a Friday night, cutting down on driving time to hunt for two days in a row. In the mornings, we don't really have time to have coffee while wolfing down a quick breakfast before heading out before light. So we've gotten into the habit of having some fresh-brewed joe after we get back from the morning excursion. However, in the midst of packing, we forgot our pot to boil water in on the ol' Coleman stove. We tried making a bowl from some old tin foil but it had a small hole in it and leaked out before the water could get hot. Not to be deterred from our savory beverages, we found some old beer cans in the ditch and boiled some water in them! Living out the Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle ethic, eh? And it worked very well. Necessity is the mother of invention...

Ahhh, that hits the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment