Saturday, January 8, 2011

Finding a Job

When I got home from my road trip last November, I set my sights on getting a temporary/seasonal job that would last me through the ski season and pay for my gas money to the mountains until work for the Forest Service started up again in May. However, it has been a struggle. I filled out at least 6 online applications for random companies (Home Depot, Costco, Starbucks, WalMart, etc) hoping that they would need a position filled, to no avail. Then I applied for a technology assistant position with a local school district and didn't get the job since I had something lined up with the Forest Service next spring. With the current job situation as it is, everyone is willing to work menial jobs, not just ski bums or students. In the middle of December I took a job at UPS as a Driver Helper for the peak Holiday season. I made some money, it gave me something to do, and I made a new friend but somehow I feel cheated. As it was, my hourly wage was next to nil, but there was no communication from my "supervisor," I was shorted hours, and they let me go a week before they had said would be when I would stop being an employee. (Don't get me wrong, that extra week off allowed me a lot of ski time with my parents who had the week off from work as well, so I had my cake and ate it too...).
I am the most frustrated with myself. I started to get my self-worth and identity wrapped up in those job applications. Since stores weren't hiring me then that meant I wasn't good enough. They were rejecting me because they could find better. When I took the UPS job it was almost as though I was trying to snatch up a job just to show that I was capable of searching for a job and becoming employed, maybe not the best choice for making money or taking advantage of the best opportunities. Now, still without a job, I find myself stressing out about things I don't need to be worried about. This is my year off, I am having to tell myself, relax and breathe or it won't be worth it in the long run.

What I really need to do is turn this spring over to God. I am a loved child of His. I am a part of His plan. I am playing a part in what He wants accomplished in this valley this year. With time off, I have been able to be a part of peoples' lives that I wouldn't have been normally. I've been able to volunteer, hang out, and chill with people who need to be chilled with. By faith we are to walk, and I realize that I can allow God to work. If I find a job, it will be because that's where I'm needed. If I don't, then it is my responsibility to make the best use of my time for the Kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. I can feel for ya. Although it's been a long long time since I've had to fill out a ton of applications. But I do remember when I first moved to seattle I wanted to be a cook at a really nice restaurant. I had the experience but I was applying right at the end of summer which is when everyone is slowing down. I couldn't get a decent job and almost took one at a Red Lobster which I didn't consider real cooking. I ended taking a job as a laborer for a construction company and the rest is history. I actually found something new that I loved and it turned out better than if I had stayed in the restaurant biz. Now the struggle is this stupid economy and people not wanting to build anymore. :) Just let opportunities happen and you'll find the way. Cheers bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We understand!! Don't despair.

    --Kara and David

    ReplyDelete