Sunday, January 23, 2011

Telemark Race League

Ever hear of Poutine?  Don't fret too much, unless you're a ski bum galavanting across Canada or a French Canadian you have no reason to have ever experienced the stuff.  Anyway, it's a mixture of potato fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Odd combination I know, but combined with an atmosphere of a great day of shredding the slopes, it can't be beat.

At Big Mountain, they hold a Thursday night race league for us free heeled and free thinking telemarkers.  We ride the race t-bar up to the top and drop our knees down through the gates head to head with a racer of similar speed.  Afterwards we have a big party, complete with prizes, awards, and home-made poutine.  We have two teams comprised of teachers and friends of teachers and sons of teachers, one called "Team Poutine" captained by Tyler Poutine, the father of the poutine revival at Big Mountain, and "X-ta Gravy" headed by my dad.  Due to the nature of the night time racing, future pictures will mostly be comprised of the after party, but hopefully I'll be able to capture some of the gate-dodging action.

As much as displaying the times for the public, I am recording my times for the racing in order to track improvement as I hopefully improve as the season continues.  The first race day, 2 weeks ago, we only took one run through the course and I logged a time of 31.48 seconds.  This week, I sped up a little with two runs of 31. 07 and 31.22.  If I can find a way to shave off half to a whole second off my time, I could start making the podium... Here's to lofty goals, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment