Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Monday is a Fun Day!

What an amazing start to the New Year! The first Monday of 2011 kicked off with a great breakfast and conversation with of my best friends and brothers, talking about how good the message of the gospel is and how the contrast of the Law and Grace works out in our lives. I'd encourage you to check out Tim's blog on the subject.

Then it was off to some backcountry shralping ("shredding powder"...don't worry, I'm just getting used to the term too). My buddy Brandon, mentioned in some of my hunting escapades, and I went out with two other friends into the Nyack area of the Middle Fork of the Flathead and toured up the Skiuma Creek drainage. We skinned all the way to the ridge separating Skiuma from Rescue Creek and bombed back down 1500 or so vertical feet, blasting through the open trees and barely visible brush below. Can I hear anyone say "Coldsmoke" or "face-shots"? We made two laps before ascending a third time to the ridge and skiing off the Rescue Creek side for about 2500 feet of pure, untouched powder snow. Now by that time I was pretty beat and my descent of the run may have looked more like rolling head-over-heels rather than beautiful, perfectly linked, telemark turns but I could hardly contain the joy that I felt from flying down a slope surrounded by such amazing country. My only regret is that I forgot to bring my camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment