Thursday, April 11, 2013

March Ice

What's cooler than being cool? ICE COLD! 
 -Outkast

I've been writing a lot about an upcoming trip to Nepal: preparations, fundraising, culture...but what's going on in the rest of my life? Back in March, right at the end of the ice climbing season, I had a flurry of days up in Hyalite Canyon. Great training and team building for Nepal (okay, I had to make it relate somehow).


The first of the two days I have pictures from I went out with a fellow Nepal team leader Jeff and his daughter. We had a stellar afternoon in the sunshine amidst some fresh snow. Jeff is shown above leading the first pitch of a climb called "Hangover."


One of the things I love about ice climbing is the feeling. There is just something about walking around with sharp things on your feet and sharp tools in your hands that makes any outing feel like an epic adventure! Here Jeff and Aime are walking around a rock outcrop on the way back to the truck. If I were able to crop out the tree, it could be a ridge somewhere in the Alaska Range or high in the Himalaya, right? Like I said, epic feeling. 


Another thing about ice climbing that adds to the "epic" feel is the weather you go out in. Sometimes it feels like an all-out blizzard. This picture is kind of deceptive though: it was probably 32 degrees while it was snowing. 


Here are my buddies from the next Friday after climbing with Jeff: (l to r) Chris, Brett, and Josh. Great group of studs just out for a morning jaunt on ice. 


And I love climbing! Swinging tools and working with ropes is an incredible experience. If you ever get the chance to get out and climb, please do so for me! Even for those of you less attracted to the vertical world: get into the fresh air of the mountains. Or at the very least watch some kind of climbing video or documentary.

I'll leave you today with a quote from John Muir:

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."

No comments:

Post a Comment